Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VOTE 2008: Live blog from Annenberg

Students anxiously watch the election coverage from a handful of different news stations. As Obama widens his lead students like sophomore broadcast journalism major, Jacquie Levy, don't want to get their hopes up just yet.

Where are you from and what are you feelings about how the election going right now?

Jacquie Levy I'm from Nevada, which is typically a red state, but this year it's considered a swing state. I voted earlier this week with an absentee ballot and am waiting anxiously for the exit polls to come out to see if my vote helped Obama take Nevada! Arizona is another state that I've heard is up for grabs, but a lot of people are upset over these two because of the influx of immigrants who are swaying the election.

Given the numbers right now, are you confident that Obama will win?

JL I mean, just looking at the numbers, it looks like he'll be good once California comes in. But I don't want to get too excited yet because especially after Kerry won the popular vote, but then not the presidency, I just want to make sure Obama is in the clear before I celebrate. Who knows maybe we'll have more chads messing things up this year.

Are you excited about the results coming in from the House and Senate elections?

JL I'm really excited about the fact that we're so close to a philabuster-proof majority in the Senate. We've got 54 now, all we need is 60 then it will be a democratic lockdown. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for checks and balances, but I think having a prominent democratic majority will be good because republicans have been stifling the democrats in congress and preventing anything productive from going through on the Senate floor.

Every couple of minutes screems can be heard from the crowds as CNN, ABC News and other political coverage announce the winners of each respective state. Levy, like others is sitting on the edge of her seat in the crowded Annenberg lobby celebrating each Obama victory. California polls close at 8pm which is sure to incite cheers and tears from a good number of Republican and Democratic students alike.

No comments: