Tuesday, December 2, 2008

USC Student Reflects on Her Experience Campaigning for Obama



Nicole Bozorgmir in a Las Vegas hotel room getting ready for a day to canvass for Obama.

What did you do for Barack Obama’s campaign?
In students for Barack Obama we did a lot of phone banking during the weeks. I also went to Nevada to canvass for Obama, going door to door. Nevada was a big swing state so that was our focus in students for Barack Obama. There was a ton of people and random volunteers canvassing with us. We made sure that the people we talked to were registered to vote and we tried to encourage them to vote early so there were no surprises on Election Day.

What was the response from the people you met while canvassing?
A lot of people just didn’t answer. It was sometimes a little bit awkward, and it was clear some people just didn’t want to vote for Obama. But then there were people who were just really enthusiastic. We would leave flyers for people who didn’t answer their door.

How did you get inspired to get involved in the campaign?
I have always been really interested in politics. I always had my opinions, but I kept them to myself. But this election just seemed so big and I thought it could be a turning point in this country, so I decided to go to a meeting in the beginning for the semester for Students for Barack Obama. And the leaders were just really dedicated and inspiring…

What did you do the night Obama was elected?
I was at home watching it with my friends. And we all had papers and midterms the next day! And even though I don’t know if I did that much personally for the campaign, I felt like I was still part of it so it was very emotional

What do you think was your biggest personal accomplishment for Obama’s campaign?
I was really happy that I took the time to dedicate a weekend in Nevada. I know that sounds really trivial but it was such a big thing going there for canvassing. And knocking on doors seemed so grassroots. It was nice to be apart of something where everyone had the same goal. It was nice to put in the effort.

What’s do you think about the youth impact on this election?
The youth vote tends to go toward the liberal side. But there is kind of the feeling that college students are not that involved in politics or they don’t really care, so it was good to see all the students at the meetings. And having over 30 people going to Nevada was an amazing turnout that I don’t think anyone expected.

No comments: